19 March 2011, Colombo, Sri Lanka: Groundviews is proud to launch today Sri Lanka’s as well as South Asia’s first citizen journalism app for Apple’s iOS platform. The Groundviews app works on the iPod Touch, iPad and is optimised for the iPhone 4’s Retina display.
“This inovative app enables those, particularly in the diaspora, to more easily access updated content published on the site” said Sanjana Hattotuwa, founding Editor of Groundviews. “Based on our experience in developing this app, we welcome inquiries to help develop similar iOS apps for other citizen journalism and mainstream media initiatives”.
Apple has around 25% of the smartphone market in the US alone, and its mobile app store is the world’s largest with around 350,000 apps downloaded well over two billion times.
The Groundviews app is free and allows a user to,
- Read all the latest updates to the site
- Read all the special editions, including the critically acclaimed End of War Special Edition
- Read all the sections on the site including the satirical Banyan News Reporters, the long-form journalism section and A-Z of Sri Lankan English
- Follow all updates made on our curated Twitter feed
- Search through content on the site
- The app also allows users to quickly take a photo, write down the context and fire off an email to the Editors of Groundviews, enabling new forms of real time journalism that can help bear witness to challenging events and processes.
Featuring high-resolution graphics that look amazing on the iPhone 4’s screen, the app also allows for user customisation.
Download the app from Apple iTunes here.